Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Diarrhea again. :-(

Last night, Debby noticed that Zachary looked a little like he did when he was really sick. He does something with his tongue that I suppose reflects his thirst- his eyes become lifeless, sleepy and not hungry. I saw it too but I wanted to remain positive.

Early this morning, he had diarrhea again. They pulled some blood and we're waiting for the results. We're scared of course. We were hoping to pull his central IV line out today, avoiding the increasing risk for serious infection. If zz is getting worse, we'll need to put a new IV line in which has proven difficult in the past. Maybe his more hydrated state will increase the chances of getting a femerol line, which only requires sedation, instead of a IJ line, which requires anesthesia. Problem with a femerol line and diarrhea is that a messy diaper increases the risk for infection.

The nurse last night wasn't helpful either. I asked her if she would come by when she was available to hold zz so that Debby could pump and I could go home for the evening. She told me yes but later told Debby that Debby should just put zz on the bed while she pumped. Later, she used a dirty bottle instead of a sterilized one. Earlier in the evening, when we and zz's doctor for the night, wanted her consult on whether she thought zz's IJ line was infected, she said that she didn't think so twice before even seeing it that day. I said that we actually wanted her eyes on the oozy red area and to tell us whether it looked different than when she had seen it last the day before. She begrudgingly followed me to our room to inspect only to proclaim "it looks better!" which it clearly did not. I think some of the nurses on this ward resent the fact that zz doesn't have a heart transplant or cardiac surgery. Waiting for blood and rounds. Will update afterwards.

No comments: